The Opinion Page

Bring a Dessert to Share (2019).


What do you think about the process of creating your portfolio and website? 

I enjoy it very much.
But. And this is a big but. Haha. But, but- 
IT TAKES FOREVER. 
FOR
EVER.
Seriously, no joke, add up the hours and I’ve spent days working on these puppies. 
DAYZZZZZ.
There are so many variables and options and endless possibilities. Constantly redirecting myself back to simplicity is an uphill battle and I’m never quite sure I’ve arrived at a state of finished. I like working on my portfolio and letting it evolve over time.
One thing I really like to do, which helps quite a bit, is to draw layouts and build physical mockups for my portfolio ahead of time. Its good to have a tangible thing in my hand to refer to, especially when I’m wondering what-the-heck page I’m on.

What is your opinion about the the tools - comparing InDesign to Wix? 

Being a totally blank slate, InDesign is somewhat more intimidating in that I feel untethered. I have to set boundaries for myself in order to feel like I’m working within a framework. Sometimes I get ideas for a layout or composition or style that I don’t know how to actually execute in the program. That can lead me down a rabbit hole of tutorials or hours of tinkering to learn. This is ok and fine except that it is quite a lengthy process. NBD whatevs but sometimes I have to go with a plan B on account of I maybe have a two hour work session scheduled and not a seven.
In Wix there are oodles of great options but also load of limitations so in that way it feels kind of the opposite of InDesign. I’m not sure that what I want to do is even possible so how I approach Wix is to spend time exploring the interface and its capabilities, applications and options and see what ideas pop up for me.

What were your biggest challenges and how did you overcome them?

Does this sound like a banging gong? TIME TIME TIME! If I could spend infinity hours on these I’d be so pleased to do it. Because the work reflects a human; a living, breathing work of art- there is no end to the flux. The constant ebb and flow of ideas makes the portfolio a dynamic, rather than static, piece. But truly the greatest challenge is spending the quality time and knowing that the cost benefit analysis shows it to be a zero sum game.
Also in the website I find it stressful sometimes to toggle back and forth between desktop and mobile to see if the thing looks ok. Not too bad but challenging.

What was your favorite aspect of creating the portfolios?

I like putting things in categories and neat rows. I like choosing fonts and kerning and spacing and colors. I enjoy seeing my work all together and reflecting on what has been successful and what needs more attention. Plus also I get new ideas all the time while I’m working on my portfolio.

Do you think your portfolio is successful? Why or why not?

Hey, my portfolio has been a work in progress for over twenty years. If I were to look at this thing and not feel some level of accomplishment then perhaps I ought to seek out another vocation.
I’m glad for myself that I have achieved some distillation to simplicity. I’m a maximalist in a major way, but there’s always more that can (and likely should) be stripped away.

How do you think your portfolio will change as you approach graduation and the job application process? 

I’d like to streamline itand make a more professional, business/graduate school ready portfolio. Ideally I will have two portfolios and two websites: one each for the academic/K-12 public school setting and one for grad school or other professional use. The K-12 version would be wide and varied as well as discuss my teaching philosophy and show student work. The other (I’m specifically thinking grad school application) would be cleaner, maybe not quite as whimsical, and have an artist’s statement rather than teaching philosophy. Also maybe instead of showing that I can do 25 different things with one or two examples I’d go deeper and show some explorations in 8-12 projects.
Maybe. Like I said- I like to reevaluate and evolve my portfolio as I go/grow and I’m open to ideas from future me and others.

Comments